The Quality Technician is responsible for inspection and testing to assure precision automotive components and processes conform to product specifications, quality system and customer requirements. The Quality Technician conducts audits to assure that proper production and inspection procedures are completed in a timely manner to assure product quality and records traceability. The Quality Technician also assists in assuring that any suspect nonconforming product and/or gages are appropriately identified and removed from production until such product can be dispositioned and/or gage repaired or replaced as appropriate.
A Senior Quality Technician may review new parts / projects to determine gauge needs and develop/implement inspection methods, testing standards, procedures, and processes to monitor product quality throughout the manufacturing process. A Senior Quality Technician may also lead/coordinate various inspections, product and gage studies needed for PPAP.
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
- Assure manufactured products conform to specifications and customer requirements
- Production processes are completed and inspected as intended (audits)
- Control plans and process FMEAs are effectively implemented
- Incoming and heat treated materials are in compliance to required specifications
- Performs visual and dimensional inspection of mechanical components to close tolerances.
- Conduct quality inspections and audits using proper equipment and techniques
- Utilize standard quality assurance test equipment and measuring devices, including CMM’s, profile and surface inspection, destructive and non-destructive testing methods.
- Conduct gage studies and confirm gage calibration and error proof verifications are current.
- Conduct capability studies / statistical analysis on select processes and report findings
- Monitor selected processes for stability and statistical control, analyze and report results
- Support first articles and annual layout inspections.
- Assist with problem solving – root cause analysis – corrective actions
- Maintain accurate documentation of quality inspection and audit results
- Assist with training and instruction for production operators in QA measuring procedures
- Development and maintenance of quality procedures and work instructions
- Audit and maintain compliance to required quality management system standards
- Provide management with detailed quality reports as required – daily, weekly, monthly, etc.
- Assist with gauge calibration; use of masters and gage repairs (Senior QAT)
- Develop inspection protocols, failure catalogs, instructions and forms, to record/retain quality results (evidence of conformity to Quality System and Control Plans) (Senior QAT).
- Maintains clean and safe work environment. Follows safety and environmental procedures and regulations. Reports safety incidents or hazards to supervisor.
Necessary Skills & Experience:
- Demonstrates ability to read and interpret product drawings and GD&T callouts.
- Proficient in use of Microsoft Office, particularly Excel; ERP or QSC experience preferred
- Intermediate Math Skills; knowledge of statistical process control (SPC) or Minitab preferred
- Production Machining – Fabrication – CNC background in Tier 1-2 automotive preferred
- Demonstrated ability to accurately measure precision components with dimensional inspection gages and evaluate results to product print tolerances
- Experience with CMM, Optical comparator, Contour Trace, and/or calibration preferred
- Attention to detail, excellent vision, fine motor skills and good judgment
- Effective verbal and written communication skills, interfaces with different levels within the organization
- Ability to follow written and verbal work instructions and to work effectively in a fast paced, team environment. Demonstrated “can do" approach with a strong flexible work ethic.
- Organizational and time management skills; must also be capable of working independently
- Experienced with automotive PPAP requirements and submissions preferred.
- Experience with Heat Treatment processes, destructive and non-destructive tests preferred[AB1]
Training & Education:
- High School diploma or GED
- Associates degree in machining or technical field preferred
- 3 years of relevant experience preferred
- ASQ or Six Sigma Green Belt certification preferred
- Certification in IATF 16949 internal auditing preferred
• Post ID: 55272497 asheville